Children are assessed by a Primary Healthcare Nurse. At each visit their vital signs and milestones are recorded (first smile, sitting, walking, talking) as well as their height and weight so that abnormal/aberrant behaviour or physical conditions can be picked up early.
At Witkoppen Clinic we follow IMCI (Integrated Management of Childhood Illness) clinical guidelines, the goals of which include:
- To ensure that all infants are immunised
- To ensure that all infants and children are well nourished
- To treat all acute and chronic diseases
- To ensure that the HIV status of all at-risk infants is known
- To ensure that exclusive feeding methods are encouraged for all at-risk infants
- To ensure that mothers and caregivers are well informed about basic hygiene, nutrition and health care issues
- To ensure the medical, psychological and social wellbeing of the child.